You may receive extra credit for going to a local planetarium show. "Free Admission Tickets" to the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History may be given out in lecture so that you may gain access to the museum, however there will still be a $4 per person fee for the planetarium show itself. Be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes early. Click here to view schedule of Current Shows. You may also view the museum's on-line calendar, or call the museum for information at 805-682-4711 x405. Click here for Directions to the Museum. Shows designed for kids are great to see, but do not qualify for extra credit (Twinkle Twinkle for Little Stars, Secret of the Cardboard Rocket, etc). Be sure to sign any extra credit sign in sheets that may be provided and be sure to answer the questions given below.
COST: One "Free Admission Ticket" to the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History may be given out in lecture so that you may gain access to the museum, however there will still be a $4 per person fee for the planetarium show itself. Without the "Free Admission Ticket", admission is $10 for adults, $7 for youths between 13-17, and $7 for seniors. For those who are museum members, there is no admission to the museum and planetarium shows are free. Also, the third Sunday of every month is an all free admission day to the museum (though planetarium shows themselves are still $4 per person).
COST of EVENING EXCLUSIVES: If you watch the "Evening Exclusive" planetarium show on the night of the museum star party (2nd Saturday of every month), there is no museum admission, but the planetarium show will cost $6 for non-museum members, and $3 for museum members. Please note that the museum star party does not count for SBCC Extra Credit. We have our own star party that counts for extra credit, the date of which is announced in class.
LECTURE CREDIT = 7 points
(Point breakdown: 4 pts for signing in at the planetarium + 3 pts for answering the questions)
EXTRA CREDIT LIMIT OF ONE SHOW PER SEMESTER!
EXTRA CREDIT QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED
Instructions given in class on how to do this.
All extra credit write-ups must be submitted in Moodle within THREE DAYS of activity!
1. Your Name
2. Your class section 101??
3. Name of the planetarium
4. Day you saw the planetarium show.
5. Date you saw the planetarium show.
6. Name of the show you saw.
7. Name of the person presenting the show.
8. Was the person at the Museum's front desk courteous and helpful?
9. How easy was it to find the planetarium.
10. Did the lecturer introduce him/herself?
11. Did the lecturer have a loud and clear enough voice?
12. Did the lecturer know the stars and constellations very well?
13. Did the lecturer present the astronomy material in a clear and logical sequence?
14. Did the lecturer have a good ending to the talk?
15 Did the lecturer thank the people for attending?
16. Did the lecturer open the door for exiting or had it opened by someone else on staff?
17. What is your overall grade for the lecturer? A, B, C, D, or F
18. Type a short paragraph summary of the program content.
19. What was the overall grade for the program content? A, B, C, D, or F